Summer is upon us and so are the great parties and events that come with it! Family reunions, church picnics, and summer camp are all on the horizon. Are you ready for the fun?
If you’re one of the lucky people who’s organizing a big gathering this summer, you know that managing an event can be overwhelming. Even a smaller event like a swim team BBQ can take over your life, but it doesn’t have to. Summer is meant to be relaxing. Let’s keep it that way.
Membership management and event planning can be easy when you make a plan and keep it simple. Here are some tips to help you stay sane, so you can enjoy friends and family this season.
• Create task lists: You can create one large list, or even several small ones, depending on the event. For example, create one list for preparations, one for during the event, and one for after. Or, be really detailed and make a list for communications, on-site management, follow up, etc. Then, assign people to each task and actually let them do it!
• Automate: Set up email reminders, text messages, and social media posts ahead of time. This is an easy way to keep your members involved and interested, but still give you breathing room to handle other more pressing details. Learn more about automating your membership.
• Make it easy to share the experience: Setting up social media pages or accounts for the event is a great way to share the experience in real time and connect with those who can’t be there. Make it easy for members/guests to upload photos to one central place as well. offers event photo sharing, as well as other group management tools.
Save Time on Décor
No one ever said things needed to be complicated to be fun. In fact, the most memorable experiences come from the people there, not the party favors, décor, or even the food! Inexpensive, basic décor can make any gathering festive—no theme required!
• Use balloons: They’re are a low-cost and fun way to spruce things up. Use the colors from your group or cause’s logo to make them more specific or choose random colors for a festive vibe. Kids love them too! Send them home as a party favor.
• Choose white lights: You can use white lights any time of day to dress up your venue. You can create an intimate feel by filling clear vases with them and running them along the table. You could also set a more cheerful tone by stringing numerous stands from the ceiling—instant dance party.
• Add clear vases: They’re probably the most versatile and inexpensive party décor available. Fill them with anything from fresh fruit and local flowers to ribbons won at this year’s swim meets—the possibilities are endless.
You can literally spend days trying to manage the details, décor, and plans for a large summer gathering. But it’s summer! Enjoy yourself, keep it simple, and save your sanity.