If you think surveys are just for market research, you are missing out on a powerful (and free!) tool. Here are just a few ways you could be using surveys as a group leader:
1) Gather lists of potential volunteers. Volunteers will be more likely to commit later if they have already made a soft commitment on a general interest form. Send a survey a few months before volunteers will be needed to generate a list of likely volunteers. Additionally, group members will more likely offer to volunteer if they are asked to “choose one, or more!” from a given a list of opportunities.
Example: which event would you be interested in volunteering at? Check all that apply! (voila! Instant call list of interested volunteers for each event!)
2) Ask donors what fundraisers they WANT to spend money on. Happy donors = more dollars. Use an open response or multiple choice survey to determine which types fundraisers would get the most traction.
3) Solicit ideas for events. There is no reason you have to think of everything! Whenever you feel stuck as a leader, remember that you have a vast pool of knowledge at your fingertips. Surveys make it possible for you to tap this precious resource easily and inexpensively, and keep the responses organized.
4) Grow your contact list for events. Each member of your group has a vast personal and professional network. Make it easy to capture referrals and potential new donor information using referral surveys. This works especially well for charity events that are useful to donors, like ‘mom’s night out’ babysitting events. Example: Have a friend who might like to take advantage of this opportunity? List his or her name and email address and we will send an invitation!
5) Gather information… and actually keep it organized! Whether you are screening for peanut allergies or t-shirt sizes, nothing beats a survey for a fast snapshot of your group’s information. It’s an easy step that can really make your events run smoother, and make your group members feel heard and valued.
If you aren’t already using surveys to capture valuable information from your group members, now is the perfect time. We just launched our newest, simplest survey form maker, so you can make a stylish professional-looking form in minutes. To check it out, click here.